Nepenthes sanguinea...

From: Kong, Gary (gkong@mofo.com)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 10:11:22 PDT

Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 10:11:22 -0700
From: gkong@mofo.com (Kong, Gary)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes sanguinea...

Hi All--

Last summer I purchased a TC'd N. sanguinea from California Carnivores, with
the equivalent of 3 years growth. I slowly acclimated it to a south-facing
bedroom window with only ambient humidity. (I live in the fog zone of San
Francisco. Of course, with the plant indoors, you're safe assuming that the
fog has little influence on the plant.) So far, the plant has been
producing lower pitchers tightly arranged around the stem. The leaves,
including the non-pitchered blade, measure about 3" long, with the pitchers
being roughly one fourth the length. My question is this--how much longer
can I expect to wait before I start seeing mature leaves develop? I've
already noted a change in the now developing pitchers--where once there were
fully capped pitchers, there seem to be opercula (sp?) that don't quite
cover the developing peristome/pitcher mouth. Is this normal growth?

Thanks,
Gary