Re: Tuberous drosera seed germination help!

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 26 1998 - 12:21:48 PDT

Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 20:21:48 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Tuberous drosera seed germination help!

In message <50BEEE25CC1FD111A18700A0C9653BC1040190@CRSMAIL.CRSCMS.COM>,
MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM> writes
>Do any growers out there in CP land have experience germinating tuberous
>drosera seed? I have "smoked" them already via advice from Allen Lowrie.
>This is where the sown pots are stood in an enclosed chamber for an hour
>while smoldering peat produces a dense cloud of smoke over said pots.
>According to Allen this technique promotes rapid germination. My question is
>what conditions are the seed pots exposed to after this? Currently my pots
>are sitting outdoors in a cold frame with daytime high temperatures around
>75f and nighttime lows in the 40's. I have read that these type of droseras
>will not germinate under constantly warm conditions such as an indoor tank
>under lights. What is the usual time frame for germination? Has anyone tried
>gib acid instead?

Mark,

You are right in assuming that tuberous Drosera seed will not germinate
until the temperatures get lower. I have not tried smoke treatment for
tuberous Drosera seeds and have only tried giggerellic acid once on D.
fimbriata seed. The gibberellic acid treatment seemed to work well
giving me good germination within about 8 weeks (not bad for these
Drosera).

The usual time for germination is anything up to a year untreated. For
treated seed you ought to see results within three months or less,
assuming the seed is still viable and the conditions are right.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

--
Phil Wilson