Fuzzy terrariums

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Sat Apr 25 1998 - 22:19:12 PDT

Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 01:19:12 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fuzzy terrariums

A grower wrote in digest 1428:

simply put....

a 10 gallon terrarium
with what looks to be
a type of fuzz growing along with the sphagnum moss
and the various plants

no clue....at least not on my part.....
the fuzz seems to be surface dwelling, and rather compact

thanks in advance....

My first diagnosis would be fungus. It occurs at the drop of a hat in
terrariums that don't receive adequate air circulation and an overly damp
medium. One product that I have been using for years is Benomyl fungicide.
You can usually find it at any garden center here in the US. I comes in a
wettable powder form and should be mixed with distilled water according to
label directions. Put this mix in a spray bottle and hit your plants and
medium surface with it. The "fuzz" will usually go away in a week. If you
have an extensive infection spray again a few days later. Keep in mind that
if you are constantly getting this growth a change has to be made in the
terrarium, whether it is media, water, brighter light, or air circulation.

Good growing,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com