Cephalotus - giant type

From: Ross Rowe (Ross.Rowe@ea.gov.au)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 15:06:55 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:06:55 +1100
From: Ross.Rowe@ea.gov.au (Ross Rowe)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cephalotus - giant type

     Hi All
     It seems that most species have a giant form in cultivation and I have
     seen occasional reference to giant forms of Cephalotus. I have even
     seem a specimen referred to as the giant form.

     I was recently priviledged to see a superb specimen of the NORMAL form
     with pitchers measuring 5 cm from the base of the pitcher to the rim
     and 6 cm from the base to the hood.

     I would love to see some dimensions for pitchers for the giant form
     which exceed those above for the normal form. Those of you with
     Cephalotus in your collection might like to post some sizes to the
     list.

     The tip from the grower of the specimen I saw was to use a large pot
     c. 20 cm diam, 25-30cm deep. The soil was a sand, peat and a little
     leaf humus as per Adrian Slacks instructions in his book. There were
     3-4 main crowns in the pot and the plants had been undisturbed for 2-3
     years.

     Ross
     Canberra, Australia