Re:Nepenthes question

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 13:38:54 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:38:54 +0100
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes question

>recently we received 2 Nepenthes cuttings, N. alata and another calledN
x maxima. Is >this a natural hybrid, or is it a species?

Hello Chris,

N. alata is a species. N. maxima is a species. N x maxima would indicate
a hybrid using N. maxima as a parent and the other parent unknown. This
could be a tissue cultured plant originating from a large wholesale
nursery in Holland. This plant is being sold as N. maxima, and is most
definitely a hybrid. Other Nepenthes growers would recognise the plant
as a hybrid and then label it as N. x maxima, meaning they know it is a
hybrid, with maxima somewhere in its background. If it is the plant I
think it is, N x maxima would be an appropriate description. I label my
plant of this clone N. maxima hybrid. By the way, it is a strong grower
and produces large colorful pitchers.

As for the N. alata- there are so many clones out there in CP land,
consider it properly labeled for now.

Good growing.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida.