brief intro; Sarracenias

From: Dustin Howarth (howarth@pulsenet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 05:13:04 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:13:04 -0400
From: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: brief intro; Sarracenias

Hi all -

My name is Dustin Howarth, and I'm currently living just south of
Pittsburgh, PA, USA. I'm a conservation biologist by training, and
especially interested in plant species native to the eastern U.S. These
interests have drawn me to the genus Sarracenia, and I'm in my third year
of growing them in an artificial bog I created in my garden. Although I
find all carnivorous plants extremely interesting, I have focused for now
on the N. American Sarracenias, and currently grow about 20 different
forms.

I have found the discussion on the list to be very informative, and this is
certainly the place for technical questions and making contacts. However,
I haven't seen many posts regarding Sarracenias.

My question: Does anyone else on the list grow Sarracenias outdoors in bog
conditions? I would be interested in corresponding and sharing ideas about
bog culture. Being relatively new to the list, I'm not sure whether it
would be more appropriate to respond to me privately rather than through
the list. I hope to hear from some of you!

Thanks,
Dustin Howarth
howarth@pulsenet.com
Pittsburgh, PA, USA