Tuberous Drosera and cold

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 04:52:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:52:19 +0200
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tuberous Drosera and cold

Hi list!

Years ago, in Boston, while reading a botanical encyclopedia I found,=20
after the description of each plant, also the hardiness zone where it lives.

I was surprised to find there that some tuberous sundews (e.g. Drosera=20
Gigantea, D. Macrantha, D. Stolonifera) and some pigmies (D. Leucoblasta,
D. Pygmaea) grow in USDA hardiness zone n.8, which means minimum winter
temperature from -12 to -7 =B0C.
It would mean they can survive such temperatures without covering!

Here in Genoa (a city near Portofino, which seems to be by far more famous
worldwide) we have a typical mediterranean climate with dry, hot summers
and wet, rather cold winters (min. temp. about -6=B0C), maybe not so=
 different
from south western australian climate.
It would be fantastic growing tuberous sundews out in the garden all year=20
long among orange trees and palms!

Does anyone on the list have any experience with cold resistance=20
of tuberous sundews?

Thank you all

Filippo Tassara
from Italy