Re: Humidifiers

From: Peter Lowden (peter_lowden@clear.net.nz)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 03:41:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 22:41:00 +1200
From: Peter Lowden <peter_lowden@clear.net.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Humidifiers

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 02:29:37 -0700, you wrote:

>Does anyone know where to find cool and/or warm humidifiers
>for terrarium use? I am planning on building a twenty

>gallon terrarium (similar to the one Barry Meyers Rice
>shows how to make on his website) strictly for growing
>small sun pitchers, and I have read that Heliamphora plants
>live in a climate where it is misty often, so I am thinking
>that some kind of humidifier will partly recreate natural
>conditions. Could sun pitchers benefit from this, or would
>it be ridiculous to install a humidifier in such a small
>terrarium?
> I appologize for all of the questions, hopefully I will
>soon know enough to join in on discussion. Thank you for
>the help so far.
> climate (this is the main reason for my searching)

Firstly, don't worry about asking too many questions, that is what this =
mail group is all about!

Secondly, if you can get hold of a little gizmo called a Tropical Cloud =
(atomiser), your Heliamphoras will love you for it! It creates a =
artificial fog, very much like dry ice that settles in the bottom of the =
terrarium to about 8cm deep. I have one and my plants are doing very =
well. I imagine that it creates a atmosphere simular to that of the top =
of a Tepui, where the plants grow. They are often covered in cloud for =
days at a time. I got mine from a local pet shop for about $90(NZ) that =
is about $50US. The effect it creates looks cool as well, and usually =
gets more attention than my plants, for people who don't know better!
I hope that is of some help,
Peter.