Re:Cockroaches

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 12:35:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:35:02 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Cockroaches

Are there any CP's that eat cockroaches?

Yes. I have a large plant of N. alata x N. khasiana that occassionally
catches palmetto bugs, always with its long upper pitchers. I have
never seen these large cockroaches (fondly referred to as a palmetto bug
by us natives, so as not to scare the tourists) running around my
plants, but overnight they somehow find their way up the vine and into a
pitcher. I have noticed the upper pitchers secrete more honey than the
lowers, and it would seem logical that cockroaches would be attracted to
something sweet, especially at night.

On a scientific level, I seem to remember Nerz and Wistuba reporting N.
insignis capturing large cockroaches as its primary prey in the Lake
Plains region of Irian Jaya.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, FL.