another Nep problem

From: Stuart Haxton (stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 01:53:27 PDT

Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:53:27 +0100
From: Stuart Haxton <stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: another Nep problem

Hello everyone,
        I have been growing six nepenthes, mostly lowland hybrids
(eg. Ampullaria x tobaica) and although they have been putting on good
growth, the pitchers, if they form, tend to reach halfway to full
development then the the lids open, which leaves me with small
bottlenecked pitchers with ridiculously sized bases, misshapen rims and
lids around 4 mm long, although the plants are growing speedily. (I
recently started using suprerthrive at a drop per gallon. (no noticeable
difference, this problem was around before). It sounds as though the
plants do not have enough energy to fully develop, or could there be
something else wrong?
     I know that this is bad for the plants, but the humidity tends to
vary from 75% to 25% during the day (any way to stop this?) with fairly
high light levels but no direct sun.

Thanks,

--
Stuart Haxton