Cutting old pitchers

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Sun Mar 22 1998 - 19:02:31 PST

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:02:31 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cutting old pitchers

Dany Rienzer wrote:

my sarracenia purpurea has different pitchers with brown borders on the top
and I'd like to ask if I should cut them for a better growing this year. I
read that it is better to cut the old pitchers for a better growing, is it
true???

It is a good idea to trim off old growth (i.e.- last years pitchers). This
helps to prevent fungal attacks which favor dead vegetation. I would leave
intact any live leaf tissue though, as this helps the plants photosynthesis.
You'll find that the growing point shifts a little each year as the rhizome
elongates eigther horizontally or vertically.

Good growing,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@crscms.com