Re: Flowering Carniverous Plants in the UK

From: Peter Cole (carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 19:02:22 PST

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 03:02:22 +0000
From: Peter Cole <carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Flowering Carniverous Plants in the UK

Paul Scully <pscully@mcmail.com> writes:
> I'm quite a newbie to this group, hence apologise if my question has
> been asked before.

        Welcome - always nice to see a new face (as it were.)
> The VFT was very happy through last summer, producing a pretty flower at
> the end of a long stalk. At the end of flowering, it the flower died
> back, going black, towards the soil until I cut it off. Is this normal?

        Yes - nothing to worry about.

> Did I do the right thing. Should I have done something with the black

        As you have surmised, these were most probably seeds if glossy black
        and hard. If crumbly and matt black, then probably only wizened
        petals/sepals/stamens etc. The seeds are easily sown on a pot of
        1:1 peat:sand, but are slow-growing (expect them to take 3-4 years
        to reach flowering size.)

> seed-like things that fell from it? The VFT then died back to basics
> through the winter and is now growing back quite nicely.
>
> The Sarracenia looked incredibly healthy last year, but some of the
> pitchers, near to the flap and the entrance, have gone brown and
> wrinkly. Is this normal? Should I cut these back to the soil? Now the

        This is natural - last year's pitchers will tend to die back to be
        replaced by this year's. Trim off any brown bits as they appear and
        it'll be fine. I tend to leave the green bits lower down - even if
        they can't trap insects, they can still photosynthesise which will
        carry on benefitting the plant.

> Sarracenia has grown a tall stalk with this alien like thing on the end
> (a flower in closure or seed pod?) What should I do with it when it
> opens?

        Yes, it's a flower (or will be.) If you let the bees at it, it may
        get pollinated and produce a few hundred brown seeds similar in size
        to the VFT's. Alternatively you can help ot along with a fine brush
        - gather up some of the pollen that will collect on the inside
        surface of the umbrella-shaped thing in the middle (ooh - there's
        technical! :-) Brush this onto the little bumps on the tip of each
        spoke of the umbrella. For best results, so this daily while the
        flower is open (it never does close, but the petals drop off after a
        couple of weeks, and you can stop then.)

        Enjoy it, but if it's got a lot of S.flava in it's parentage it may
        smell a bit feline - you can put it outdoors for a week or two if
        it's bothersome.

> I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance on the above as I've got this far,
> and don't fancy bringing any harm to them now!

        Sounds like you're doing the right thing then - if you were going to
        harm them, they'd have let you know by now.

        Happy growing,

                        Peter
+++ Peter Cole, 17 Wimmerfield Cr.,Killay,SWANSEA SA27BU,WALES,UK +++
mailto:carnivor@flytrap.demon.co.uk - http://www.flytrap.demon.co.uk/
++++ Carnivorous Plants, seeds and tissue culture kits for sale ++++