Flowering Carniverous Plants in the UK

From: Paul Scully (pscully@mcmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 20:49:25 PST

Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:49:25 -0800
From: Paul Scully <pscully@mcmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Flowering Carniverous Plants in the UK

Hi Folks,

I'm quite a newbie to this group, hence apologise if my question has
been asked before.

I'm located in the UK (if that has any relevance) and have kept the
following for 12 months;

Drosera capensis 'Alba'
Dionaea muscipula
Sarracenia hybride

I have kept them watered, with rainwater and tapwater and they all seem
to be pretty happy. They live on a south facing window sill.

The Drosera got a nasty batch of creepy crawlies last year which
devoured it from the soil up causing it to look like a burnt out forest,
but a good cut back and a dose of houseplant spray sorted that and it
grew back and is now thriving.

The VFT was very happy through last summer, producing a pretty flower at
the end of a long stalk. At the end of flowering, it the flower died
back, going black, towards the soil until I cut it off. Is this normal?
Did I do the right thing. Should I have done something with the black
seed-like things that fell from it? The VFT then died back to basics
through the winter and is now growing back quite nicely.

The Sarracenia looked incredibly healthy last year, but some of the
pitchers, near to the flap and the entrance, have gone brown and
wrinkly. Is this normal? Should I cut these back to the soil? Now the
Sarracenia has grown a tall stalk with this alien like thing on the end
(a flower in closure or seed pod?) What should I do with it when it
opens?

I'd be grateful for a bit of guidance on the above as I've got this far,
and don't fancy bringing any harm to them now!

Cheers