Re: lime

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 09 1998 - 15:13:08 PST

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:13:08 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: lime

In message <19980307214724.AAA28507@default>, Carles Cardona
<JCEMAP@santandersupernet.com> writes
> Hello all, I'm new in this list and I'd like to know more about
> CP, so I
>want to ask you some questions:
> I live in Mallorca (in the middle of the west Mediterranian sea)
> and
>this island is all with lime soil (whith a lot of CaCO3). Because all
>CP I know are fron acid soils, Iwant to know which plant you recomend
>me to plant here??. Because I want to plant some CP in the Botanical
>Garden (Jard\355 Botanic de Soller).
> Thank you for any help you could give me.
>

> Carles

Almost any of the Mexican Pinguicula species will grow very well on
limestone as long as you are careful about where you position them. THey
need to be out of all direct sunlight. In Mexico they are invariably
found on the cooler north facing cliffs. You also need to be sure the
plants get plenty of water. A good soaking at least once per day will
probably suffice. In the winter give no water at all.

Hope this helps.

--
Phil Wilson