Re: VFT Dormancy

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 07:48:09 PST

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:48:09 -0700 (MST)
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT Dormancy

At 06:59 PM 3/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I just took out my 8 VFTs from the refrigerator only to find 7 of them
>rotten. I put them in the refrigerator in December. Put them in
>damp sphaghnum moss and sealed them in zip lock bags. I did not trim
>the leaves..just put them in. What did I do wrong? All the plants
>were in one bag and only one plant survived...
Been there, done that. Two quick suggestions:

1) The moss that you pack the "bulbs" in should be moist not wet. Try
using drier moss.

2) Dust the "bulbs" with a fungicide before storage. I use Benomyle
(sp?) with good results. This fungicide can be purchased from Peter Paul's
Nursery. NOTE: this is the only product I buy from this nursery do to their
purported wild collection of plants.

Hope this helps,
John in Phoenix