Re: VFT Dormancy

From: Wim Leys (Wim.Leys@vlm.be)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 05:29:33 PST

Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:29:33 +0100
From: Wim Leys <Wim.Leys@vlm.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT Dormancy

 Dear Earl

> I just took out my 8 VFTs from the refrigerator only to find 7 of them
> rotten. I put them in the refrigerator in December. Put them in
> damp sphaghnum moss and sealed them in zip lock bags. I did not trim
> the leaves..just put them in. What did I do wrong? All the plants
> were in one bag and only one plant survived...

I have stored VFT's in my refrigerator during two years. The VFT's were
taken out of the soil, rinsed, cleaned up and put together with some
damp Sphagnum in a plastic box, that was placed in the refrigerator.

The first year I checked the plants about twice a month and poured out
water that collected at the bottom. I didn't loose a single plant that
year.

The next year I treated the VFT's in exactly the same way. But this time
I was confident that all would be OK. So I didn't look at them until the
next spring. I had about the same loss rate as you reported : 1 survivor
on 8 or 10 plants. I think that by checking them regularly, they
received fresh air, water that collected at the bottom was poured away,
...all those things prevented the rotting of the plants.

I stopped using this refrigerator method, I just leave them in their
pots. VFT's can withstand frost, even for a prolonged period (my outdoor
grown VFT's were solid frozen for over a month last year). New growth
starts earlier, and the plants look better than those coming from the
refrigerator.

I think the refrigerator method should only be applied
- if you live in a tropical area where the high temperatures would
prevent the plants from going into a dormancy period or
- if you really don't have the place to store your plants during winter.

When I look at your e-mail address <earln@hawaii.edu>, the first reason
will probably be applicable to you. I would suggest using a box, not a
plastic bag, that is big enough to store the plants comfortably. Check
the plants regularly, that way you can act at the beginning of a problem
and the plants will receive some fresh air. Also pour out water, as rot
was possibly due to the presence of stagnant water.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Wim