RE: lime

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 06:11:00 PST

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:11:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: lime

>I live in Mallorca (in the middle of the west Mediterranian sea) and
this
>island is all with lime soil (whith a lot of CaCO3). Because all CP I
know
>are fron acid soils, Iwant to know which plant you recomend me to plant
>here??. Because I want to plant some CP in the Botanical Garden
(Jard\355
>Botanic de Soller).

Hi Carles,

Sarracenia purpurea grows in marl bogs which have an alkaline pH;
however, I'm not certain whether or not it will tolerate soil with high
Ca levels.

Your best bet is to grow them in pots or dig a hole, line it with
plastic and add the appropriate mix. The mix varies somewhat depending
on the species. Sarracenia and many Drosera will do fine in a peat/sand
mix (1:1).

Good luck
David