Describing other people's "cultivars"

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 09 1998 - 18:07:44 PST

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:07:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Describing other people's "cultivars"

Dear Andrew, you wrote,

> I also have the s. rubra gulfensis x S. psittacina AND
>an anthocyanin free form of same. They are neat clones, but not ones I
>would give names to as I did not make the cross. My own personal beliefs
>on this are that I would only name a plant that I personally created.

Actually, if a plant has been introduced, and the originator has not shown
an interest in describing the plant as a cultivar, anyone else may
describe the plant as a cultivar.

Obviously, to maintain friendly relations, I would suggest you contact the
originator and ask for the originator's permission---and perhaps even give
the person coauthor role on the paper, even if they don't do anything but
proof the paper once prior to publication.

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor