Re: Sarracenia crown split

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sun Feb 22 1998 - 10:36:00 PST

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 11:36:00 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia crown split

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 Mars <mars@hacom.nl> writes:
>My S. purpurea has an usually dark red
>crown from where the pitchers are growing. Now the red crown has
>"opened" and under
>the surface a white colour (rhizome?) is visible. This is different
>from new growth which
>never has lost its dark red colour. Can this be a sign of upcoming
>flowering or is it something else?

Sounds like a flower stalk emerging to me, and if your plant is
coming out of dormancy, this would be the right time.

>I wanted to propagate my Sarracenia by a rhizome/leaf
>cutting, but I don't know if this is the right time now.

If you want your plant to flower and possibly produce seed then
I would wait to divide your plant. If not, then go ahead and divide
it now but cut off the flower stalk as soon as it can be safely
removed.

Richard Ellis "ricell@juno.com"
Boulder, CO