RE: Intestinal flora of Heliamphora

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 10:23:22 PST

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:23:22 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Intestinal flora of Heliamphora

> I think he was asking how the pitchers are
> inoculated with the symbiotic bacteria. I'm writing
> because I'd like to know also.
> Where do TC plants get these bacteria from? Are
> these bacteria only found on the tepuis inside the
> plants or are they widespread and happen to fall
> into a pitcher and then become symbiotes?

Dave,
About a year or more ago there was a Dr Liane Cochran-Starsomething on the
list. I'm obviously mangling her name. If I remember correctly she was doing
research on this very topic in the Sarracenia species and we discussed this
on the list. She might still be on this list (in which case I hope she
forgives my spelling), if not the archives might hold some clues for you.

Hope this helps
Phil