Re Nepenthes merrilliana in cultivation

From: Stuart, Mark (mstuart@infotech.agric.wa.gov.au)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 17:35:00 PST

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 98 17:35:00 PST
From: "Stuart, Mark" <mstuart@infotech.agric.wa.gov.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re Nepenthes merrilliana in cultivation

Trent Meeks recently wrote:

Trent here in the office at R.B.'s. I have brought up this topic before,
in less direct fashion, so here it is: anybody having success with
Nepenthes merrilliana? I have gained the following information
concerning its natural habitat via site photos or direct responses from
some of you out there who have had the opportunity to see this species
growing in its natural habitat.
1. N merrilliana grows on sloped land (ie. hillsides) implying rapid
drainage.
2. N merrilliana grows in a reddish, iron rich soil, probably lateritic
in composition.
3. very high rainfall in its natural habitat (like most Nepenthes)
$. A true lowlander. (I get red spotting on the leaves if the temperature
drops below 55 dgrees F., just like rafflesiana and bicalcarata)
So far, I have met its needs in temperature, sunlight, water/humidity.,
but I don't think it likes traditional Nepenthes soil (you Nep growers
know what I mean- perlite, peat, fir bark ).
Anybody out there in CP land have any ideas or experiences to relate?
Until later,
Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida

I also have difficulty in growing this species. I agree with Trent, it
loves the heat!!!. My plants were suffering from the cold despite
minimum temperatures of 18C approx. 65F, and daytime air temperatures of
30C to 40C during Spring, Summer and Autumn and 25C to 30C during Winter.
 To help them along I placed the plants on my hot bed, located in my low
land greenhouse. The hot bed is set at 35C. The heating panels are
covered with 10 to 15 cm of perlite Pots are buried in the perlite. The
depth is dependent on the temperature required. For example on the
surface the temperature may be 20C halfway down, 25C and so on.
 (thermometers placed in the pots provide the best indicator of the
temperature at a specific depth.) The pots of N merrilliana are placed
to within 2 cm of the heating panels. This gives a temperature in the
pot of 30C to 35C.

To my surprise they started to grow and produce pitchers. Even more to
my surprise the roots have grown out of the pots and invaded the pure
perlite, in mass. I have also found that even with bottom heat the tops
of the plants suffer from the cold (18C) especially in winter when the
air temperature in my lowland greenhouse is at 15 to 18C for most of the
night. The exposure to these temperatures for extended periods sets them
back severely.

Despite this limited success I find the species difficult to grow. It
never seems to have the vigorous vegetative growth that other species
produce, instead remaining in the rosette stage with relatively small
leaves (20 cm long). Perhaps it will grow out of this stage, only time
will tell.

For what its worth I grow the plants in a mix of equal parts of peat,
perlite and pine bark, with some vermiculite thrown in for good measure
to increase the water holding capacity. The house is misted regularly
every 30 minutes and there is some air movement from a fan.

I would be interested in any other experiences in growing this species.

Cheers

Mark Stuart

Perth, Western Australia