Re: Harmful prey?

From: Richard Berg (bergrd@valunet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 1998 - 15:40:07 PST

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:40:07 GMT
From: bergrd@valunet.com (Richard Berg)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Harmful prey?

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998 05:22:44 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi CPers!
>
>I wonder if I can feed wood lice (aka sow- or pill-bugs) to my CP=20
>(esp. Dionaea and Cephalotus). I know these animals are no insects=20
>but land isopods (Crustacea) -- little ugly land lobsters :-)=20
>
>I found some flytrap animation (venus.mov) on somebody's homepage
>which shows a Dionaea trap a wood louse. Are they (and cephs)=20
>able to digest them and can they be any harm?
>
>What about certain poisonous critters like house spiders and ants.
>Can their poison/acid hurt the plants? What about lady-bugs (aka
>lady-birds) and their yellow secretion?
>

>Bye, Stefan.

 Stefan,

  Being in the northern U.S. pill-bugs are numerous and even in the
dead of winter I've been able to find many under rocks, logs, and
debris in my yard... I have been feeding my Dionaea these for about 2
months without problems... It's actually been quite nice to use the
semi-frozen bugs because they don't move as fast but still trigger the
traps effectively... The traps digest them perfectly fine and all
that's left is the chinton shell... I would say they would be fine for
you also but be sure they are not contaminated by pollutants as these
little critters seem pretty at ease near pollutants...

  I've fed my Dionaea's house spiders at times but fear of the above
mentioned pollutants keeps me digging pill-bugs!

                                        ... Richard

Richard Berg
Salem, Ohio

<bergrd@valunet.com>