Hanrahan's hybrid

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 13 1998 - 12:05:53 PST

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:05:53 EST
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hanrahan's hybrid

Greetings folks: Peter here in muddy California, which hasn't seen sun since
thanksgiving. Concerning that fabulous Sarracenia hybrid on Bob Hanrahan's
property, it is certainly one of the most beautiful plants I have ever seen.
After the crowds left during the field trip, Bob, Marilee, myself, and someone
else (can't remember the fourth person, but it may have been Ron Gagliardo)
removed and divided the plant, so it could be tissued cultured. Someone took
a photo of the event as I dug it out. Pieces were replanted, and Bob left
with a couple of divisions. I certainly hope the plant is or was being worked
on by Ron, so one day we all may grow this gorgous hybrid. As far as I can
recall, Bob believed it to be a cross of S. flava "red tube" and leucophylla.
It is really stunning.
        Incidentally, Marilee got a joyous call from Ron G. a couple of weeks
ago, with the news that S. x 'Judith Hindle' is now in production.
California Carnivores should have it available perhaps later this year.
Hopefully further good news about S. x 'lamentations', S. purpurea 'red
ruffles' and other of our cultivars will follow. Also, Ron was working on
some of Adrian Slack's cultivars that I gave him. When finally distributed,
profits from those handsome plants will be sent to Mr. Slack.
                                                  Th-th-th-that's all, folks!
Peter D'Amato