interesting behaviour of my VFT

From: Ernest Ming (Eyhm@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 02:06:19 PST

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:06:19 -0000
From: "Ernest Ming" <Eyhm@btinternet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: interesting behaviour of my VFT

Hello everybody on the list,
I am not sure whether very small seedlings are suppose to behave in this
way but I find it quite interesting so thus I want to share my experience
with you lot. Well, I have sowed the VFT seeds during early december and
they have germinated about 1 month ago and still have its initial leaves
on.There were 5 seedlings of which only one came through but guess its
myself to blame for sowing them too early and not giving them what they
needed etc..
Any way that sole survivor has produced 1 trap and is producing several
other which are now visible"just"
that oldest trap is the only one that is matured enough to open up or
close. Some how or other i have observed its interesting behaviour, it
didn't struck be of its unusualness till it did the third time.
This was what happened : ( bear in mind that this plant is in a 2" pot with
1" water and its artificial light is my table lamp - halogen type, it sits
on my desk.)
everyday the trap was opened as it is new then one day it closed, I thus
though it caught something as this took place at night and i am out most
day time.
I was wrong, it opened up the next morning with nothing in it. That night
it did it again and so now every night its trap closes and each morning it
opens up and has been doing for the past 5 days.
I thus is wondering if any of you have seen such unusual behaviour, I also
think that it might be related to too much light or self timed mechanism of
the plant or some kind of photo sensitive thing with it.
Any ideas people?

Ernie

p.s - read my previous message cause i really need help with those
droseras.

thanx