Re: Free CP seeds and BG Gent; sorry, one more

From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 00:59:53 PST

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 08:59:53 +0000
From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Free CP seeds and BG Gent; sorry, one more

Hi Wim and friends,

> > That Guy van der Kinderen guy is quite incredible. As I saw on the
> > list he almost suggests that you are a thief in the night stealing
> > CP's from the botanical garden in Gent!!! Ignoring him like you did
> > is the best thing to do.

Well, clearly he did not. And, btw, it was not during the night.

> This plant differs
> considerably from my other S. purpurea purpurea's. So I found it
> important to point that out to the people. But the plant is (was)
> labelled that way by the BG of Ghent and that's where the parent plant
> comes from. The flowers were selfed and it generates the same kind of
> S. purpurea purpurea like plants, so I am in doubt, is it another
> variety or is it an hybrid.

Why do you point it out to the people on the list, and not to those
who really need to know about this? Again, the BG Gent left the
expertise to name and maintain its collection to people who she
trusted to have the knowledge.

> This plant was given to me by the former chairman, Freddy De Coninck.

> Some other people and I have pointed this questionable naming out to
> Freddy, who was in charge of the collection. The fact that this label
> may never have changed is not due to the fact that it was not
> mentioned.

That's your story.

> About the fact that "certain people where more concerned about their own
> collection", I certainly hope you are not referring to me.

This was a general remark concerning those who were supposed to keep
the collection. And this indeed concerns more people than only
Freddy. Unfortunately, some of them were especially seen when new
plant materal was arrived at the BG, or they only came for the
reward.

> As you were
> well aware that I was a student or in military service at that time and
> that I have spend many many Saturdays working in the CP collection of
> the BT garden.

You did?

> It was during one of those times that Freddy gave me this
> plant. It took me 2 hours (go and return) by train to get there, and I
> had to pay for the train tickets while you lived a couple of miles
> away,.

Sorry that I lived closer to the BG than you. We have on the
other hand members living in the opposite part of Belgium (including
students), never claiming about this, just because they like to give
a helping hand.

> I totally agree with what you are saying here. As I was the treasurer of
> the society I was well aware of who has spend money on what purposes. So
> I was also aware of large sums of money that were spend to house people
> in hotels. When so many time later those persons showed their gratitude
> towards all this generosity, by sending seeds or plants, they all went
> straight to one particular collection. When I pointed this out, I was
> told that as the letter/package was send to Mister xxx, and not to the
> society, he considered all those benefits his own.

Strange, we never heard these claims on general meetings of the
Society. What I do know is that you were voted away as a treasurer.

> Another point. The year after I left the board, I have checked the
> overview of the finances of the society. About 85000 Belgian franks (+-
> 2400 $) was missing. I have said this to the present treasurer. He
> assured me that he would check this out and that he would contact me for
> further information. Can you tell me what the status of this
> investigation is ? I haven't heard of it since. So it seems to me that
> "Unfortunately, times have not changed."

Well, we did check your bookkeeping after you left, and did find
very, very strange things. Not only 'large sums for hotels', but
especially several books which were ordered but never found back in
the library, large sums for telephone-bills, ... It looks strange to
me that an ex-treasurer overviews the finances of a society a year
after he has left the board. Why did'nt you do this during your
bookkeeping job, or jus after you stopped? So, if we had to do an
investigation (although I never heard about this), we surely do not
have to tell people who left the board and the society.

> Guy, please. I left the society because of all the friction and the
> fights. Please, don't start this fighting again on this list.

As I stated before, you were voted away by the members, and there may
have been a reason for this.

> If you really want to continue this, do it using private e-mail. You
> could have done this in the first place.

I will. Sorry folks! Nevertheless, from your seedlist, people (of the
whole list) might conclude BG Gent is unable to make proper
labelling. We were just wondering who's telling us, because we know
better.

Kind regards,

That Guy Van der Kinderen guy