RE: Sphagnum moss

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 06:46:00 PST

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:46:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sphagnum moss

>Is it normal for sphagnum moss to be whitish and brown in the winter?
Though
>the moss is growing in my Nepenthes terrarium and the Neps are doing
great,
>some of the sphagnum which is normally green seems sickly. Both the
Neps and
>the moss grow in a perlite/bark mixture sold for orchids and have high
>humidity and good light. What could I be doing wrong?

White moss means it's too dry. I occassionally get moss with brown tips
and suspect that the tips are dead or infected. Since the moss is
growing on top of a perlite/bark mix, there's probably not enough
wicking action when the mix dries out to draw water into the moss;
therefore, the moss turns white. It may not be dead yet though so try
rehydrating with water. If it turns green again, it will be ok. You'll
have to keep a closer eye on the moss in the current set up and water
when it starts to turn white. In the long run, though, this is probably
not healthy for the moss since moss likes continuous moisture.

David