Re: Sphagnum moss

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 05:55:04 PST

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:55:04 -0500
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sphagnum moss

     Try misting the moss more. It should not be turning brown and the
     whitish color indicated lack of water or, dying. Did you spray a
     fungicide or any other type of chemical on your plants?. If so, that
     may be the problem. I grow sphagnum moss and only have problems when
     it is to windy outside, otherword it does just fine in my area.
     Contact me privately and I will offer some more suggestions
                         Charles Brewer
                            Va. Beach

Is it normal for sphagnum moss to be whitish and brown in the winter? Though
the moss is growing in my Nepenthes terrarium and the Neps are doing great,
some of the sphagnum which is normally green seems sickly. Both the Neps and
the moss grow in a perlite/bark mixture sold for orchids and have high
humidity and good light. What could I be doing wrong?

dr.cap
Alexandria, Virginia
USA