B. liniflora

From: Ken Skau (ken.skau@uc.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 24 1998 - 08:00:05 PST

Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 11:00:05 -0500
From: Ken Skau <ken.skau@uc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: B. liniflora

I have grown Byblis linaflora for over 10 years and have never used
gibberellic acid or any other artificial means of germinating the seeds. I
sow the seeds on top of peat in the early spring (early April in
Cincinnati, Ohio) and keep them evenly moist. I have never determined the
germination rate because I get such masses of plants that it is difficult
to count them all. Some of them are probably from seeds that have dropped
to the medium from the past year's plants. The seeds will sprout as the
peat warms and takes only a couple of weeks. The plant is an annual and
will produce lilac flowers in the late summer. The flowers may be
cross-fertilized, self-fertilized or just left alone and they will produce
copious amounts of seed. This past year I was harvesting seeds into
December, but we had a mild Autumn that allowed the plants to survive
longer than they normally would.

Kind Regards,
Ken Skau