Re: Byblis liniflora

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 16:15:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 98 19:15 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Byblis liniflora

Dear Denis,

> Byblis liniflora is a annual. You must pollinate between flowers
> by using a small brush.

   So far I've had these plants for less than a year, but I haven't
had to pollinate the flowers myself and they are indoors, away from
drafts and pollinators, producing lots of seed.

> Unless the seeds are soaked in gibberellic acid (GA3) germination
> will be very poor or could take up to 12 months.

   My plants are from seed from ICPS. They came up in two weeks
without any treatment...

> I got heaps up this way a few years ago from one plant that arose
> from one untreated seed that itself took 12 months to germinate.
> (The remaining thousand or so untreated seeds never germinated.)

   Perhaps there is more than one type B.liniflora?/?

> And then disaster struck:- I gave them away except one plant. It
> got eaten off at the base. Now I don't have Byblis liniflora.

   Well, when the seeds ripen I'll send some into the ICPS seed bank,
or other seed banks. Probably keep some for trades too.

Dave Evans