Re:N.clipeata

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 10:46:36 PST

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 19:46:36 +0100
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:N.clipeata

Jan wrote:

In addition to these climatic factors (elevation, geographical
latitude), also edaphic (soil, etc.) factors determine the endemism
of this most remarkable species. G.Kelam is an inselberg (an isolated
outcrop of siliceous rock). _N. clipeata_ (unlike other plants
inhabiting a similar geographical setting) is adapted to this
peculiar rock surface situation that is almost devoid of other plants,

so it is very unlikely that this species can be found somewhere in
the close neighbourhood of G.Kelam (i.e. in habitats in which it
would not survive competition by other plants that are more vigorous
in these more "normal" habitats). In fact the known specimens indicate

that this mountain is the only station of the species at all. It is
quite remarkable that this (almost?) extinct species was never
protected more than any other _Nepenthes_ (cf. N.mirabilis_!).

That is true. But you must know, that there is a another montain
nearby Kelam, which is much lower but also an "inselberg". Nobody has
been there until now. And what about the sumit-plateau? It is well
known, that there is N.bicalcarata, albomarginata ...growing. In over
800 meters! And it is told, that on the slippery and steep rockfaces
should be more clipeata. I heard, that the Indonesian government has a
scientifical station there. And there is only a small liana up to the
last part of the montain! Left and right of the very small and wet
path you can fall down a few hundret meters. What will happen, if you
cut it? I know, that the Dayaks there use this montain for hunting.

I believe we should think about bringing seeds (or invitro speciments)
of cultivated clipeata any time back to this montain! Perhaps the
Indonesian government can help.

--
Homepage:
johannes.marabini@t-online.de/index.htm">http://home.t-online.de/home/johannes.marabini@t-online.de/index.htm