Re: Pinguicula alpina and scented sundew flowers

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 08:39:50 PST

Date:          Wed, 7 Jan 1998 08:39:50
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Pinguicula alpina and scented sundew flowers

Dear Robert,

> 1. Does Pinguicula alpina occur in Greenland, or is Iceland the
> westernmost outpost of this species?

No record known from Greenland. All records from America erroneous
(confusion with _P. villosa_ or _P. vulgaris_). Where do you have the
information on Iceland from? I do not know of any record of _P.
alpina_ from there. I have seen specimens of _P. vulgaris_ from
Iceland, however. So the W most occurrence of _P. alpina_ seems to be
in Spain (Pyrenees).

> 2. Do Drosera with scented flowers (to the human nose) occur beyond
> Australia and New Zealand? That is, is this phenomenon developed
> outside of the tuberous, pygmy and t-form sundew groups?

I do not know of any outside that area. The scented species do belong
to subgenera that are (almost) endemic to Au/N.Zeal., so it is not
very likely to find these species (except _D. peltata_) somewhere else
(how about _D. insolita_? Has any of the many collectors of this
species ever sniffed at the flowers? ;-)). However, there is a
possibility that scent just has not been noted by the collectors of
other species in other regions.

Kind regards
Jan