Light and shade

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Sun Dec 28 1997 - 22:45:42 PST

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 01:45:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Light and shade

I grow nearly all of my plants indoors under artificial lighting. I have
4x48" flourescent fixtures about 18" away from the bottom of the tank
in which all the pots are sitting, so they vary from probably 16" to 12"
from the tops of the plants. Now my question is: for species that are
said to "prefer shade" are they likely to be getting too much light and I
should put some screening in between them and the lights, or is the fact
that I'm using artificial indoor lighting "dim enough" to do? Everything
seems to be doing quite well, but I'd like to avoid plants suddenly
croaking one day for having had too much light for the previous six
months.

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)