RE: dormant VFTs

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 1997 - 06:53:38 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:53:38 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: dormant VFTs

> I don't know how cold your 'crisper' gets, but mine
> freezes when the temperature out side drops below 32.
> (The frig is in the laundry room which is the
> coldest room in the house anyway, so this is partly
> the reason.) This could be the end of your VFTs, so
> I wanted to mention it.

Doug, are VFTs in an artificial environment like this more vulnerable to
damage from freezing, or are you just being cautious? The reason I ask
is because I left 8 or 9 VFTs outside last winter and they all came
through just fine. Some were small plants in very tiny pots; I'm sure
they must have frozen solid at some point. We had one stretch of a few
days were the daytime high barely got above freezing, and during that
time the only care I gave my plants was to throw a tarp over them at
night. Due to lack of experience I wouldn't recommend this to everyone,
but it didn't seem to hurt my plants a bit.

FWIW I live in the North Carolina piedmont not far from the natural
range of the VFT, so last winter in my back yard was pretty close to the
weather they see in the wild.

Phil
URL du jour: http://www.431.org/toast/toasthaiku.html