RE:

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 06:36:00 PST

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:36:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE:

>Does anyone know why Kew are freezing their seed bank seed? Is there a
>protocol for how to do it (ie details of preparation, storage
temperature etc).

Hi Nigel,

I can't answer your question but will mention that in another life when
I did cell culture with human and rodent cell lines, I stored back up
cultures in a DMSO solution in liquid nitrogen. The DMSO was necessary
to prevent water crystals from destroying the delicate cell membranes.
My guess is that seed could be stored indefinitely in the same way.