Re: Nepenthes sanguinia roots

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 18:49:53 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:49:53 -2900 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes sanguinia roots

Tim Williams wrote:

> I'd appreciate advice on how to encourage a small (5cm dia.) N. =
> sanguinia to start generating some roots and hence grow a bit.

The conditions you reported sounded a bit wet as far as the
potting media is concerned. Be careful that the fragile
roots of your N. sanguinea are not rotting away. This is
especially true if your humidity is >70% all the time.

N. sanguinea seedlings have been slow for me, too. I have better
results when the potting media is damp, but not sopping wet. I
also allow the media to dry out a little between waterings--the
waterings are heavy and thorough.

It has been reported that a soaking in Superthrive solution is
good for transplants and for general root growth. Although I've
had good root growth from cuttings when I've used Superthrive, I
haven't determined that the results are due exclusively to this
product. However, use of Superthrive has not hurt any Nepenthes
I've tried it on.

It is not surprising that you have seen vastly different results
between N. sanguinea and N. alata (and N. khasiana). Different
Nepenthes grow differently under the same conditions.

You might also try foliar fertilization with a dilute solution
of Miracid. And, if the pitchers are large enough, try feeding
them with small insects.

Regards,

Perry Malouf