Re: Live Sphagnum - What do I DO with it?

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 11:31:54 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:31:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Live Sphagnum - What do I DO with it?

Matt Ouimette wrote:

> ...I was trying to grow some sphagnum....I now have about 8 clumps, none
> larger than a quarter yet, but growing.)...
> ... What do I DO with it? When should I use
> live sphagnum instead of peat? Should I plant my seeds on live
> sphagnum, or on peat?

What kind of seeds are you referring to? Planting Nepenthes seeds
on growing sphagnum is not a good thing to do, judging from what I've
seen. It's very possible for the growing sphagnum to outgrow a Nepenthes
seedling and overwhelm (kill) it. You'd need to trim back the sphagnum
from the seedling. I'm not sure if Dionaea or some Droserae would suffer
the same fate--never tried it.

Live sphagnum makes a very nice dressing to put on top of your potting
mix, around an already established plant. I've had large plants of
Drosera binata, adelae and capensis growing it it also.

But these plants also grow nicely in other media that don't have to
be kept alive. It may not be worth the bother to cultivate live
sphagnum for this purpose.

In fact, I wonder if there are _any_ cp that won't do their best in
anything but live sphagnum.

Regards,

Perry Malouf