Re: Live Sphagnum - What do I DO with it?

From: Rupert G. Goldie (epartg@epa.ericsson.se)
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 18:39:28 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:39:28 +1100
From: "Rupert G. Goldie" <epartg@epa.ericsson.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Live Sphagnum - What do I DO with it?

Matt Ouimette wrote:

> So here's the question. I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I was trying
> to grow some sphagnum. The tips helped, and the few sprigs I had are
> larger now (I had one or two sprigs, I now have about 8 clumps, none
> larger than a quarter yet, but growing.)
>
> Now comes the real question. What do I DO with it? When should I use
> live sphagnum instead of peat? Should I plant my seeds on live
> sphagnum, or on peat? When I repot plants this spring, should any of
> them be planted in the live sphagnum instead of peat/sand/perlite?

I started using sphagnum moss as a potting medium for Sarrs last year
and I have been very happy with it. This year I have taken three divisions
that I kept in the fridge over the winter and potted two into sphagnum
and one into peat/sand so I can compare the media.

I haven't used sphagnum for seeds, but the few Drosera seeds that have
spontaneously sprouted in the moss have been a bit overwhelmed by the
moss.

--
Rupert G. Goldie, Software Engineer                epartg@epa.ericsson.se
Advanced Service Applications Centre, Ericsson Australia