New Subscriber

From: peter christensen (christe@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sat Nov 22 1997 - 20:22:21 PST

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:22:21 -0500
From: peter christensen <christe@bellatlantic.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: New Subscriber

Hello all,

I've been following the mailing list for a few weeks now--it's been
very helpful, especially the recent topic on growing media. I grow
mostly orchids in a cool greenhouse (in New Jersey). Have three
nepenthes (alata, wrigleyana, and gracilis). Wrigleyana and gracilis
have hardly grown at all in six years (but do have a few small
pitchers), while alata has been growing like a weed (up a trellis
against the wall of the greenhouse) in a seven inch pot.

It's been in the same pot and medium since 1989. I keep thinking
I should repot it, but because it's doing so well, I'm afraid to
disturb it. Do nepenthes need to be repotted periodically like
orchids? I'm growing it in shredded cypress wood (no one's
mentioned this medium in the potting discussion--it was
recommended by the grower where I bought the plants!), with perlite,
charcoal, and fir bark. And if I do repot it, should I prune the
vines back?

This is a great mailing list!

Thanks,
Peter Christensen