Re: Nep. soil

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 09:00:56 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:00:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep. soil

Hi Paul and list,

> > Yes, the 'traditional mixes' are nothing like the soil found in
> > Nepenthes habitats. ... I use sphagnum and perlite. The soils I found
> > Nepenthes growing in was a slimy, mineral-rich muck. No aeration
> > whatsoever, especially compared with the sphagnum/perlite.

> I grow my neps in an airier mix than what you have described....
> ....I do have a couple of neps in a compact medium
> and they appear to be doing fine. Perhaps the traditional view of
> nepenthes soil mixes needs to be revised?

I think there is much to be learned about Nepenthes growing media.
Mind you, I haven't scoured the literature looking for what's already
been published. Most of the information I have on Nepenthes growing
media has come from correspondence with other people.

If a lot of people reported their (long term) results with
various plant media to this forum, it would be a wonderful education.

Andreas recently said that N. northiana does well in a peaty mix. I
wonder if he uses a peaty mix for all his neps, or I wonder if a
peaty mix would kill some neps?

Some people have had good results using a mix containing coarse granite
gravel for the tough-to-grow highlanders.

The reason why I use sphagnum and perlite is because I've found it
works okay for most of the neps I've tried, the ingredients are
readily found, and it's easy to prepare. I can't help but wonder if my
plants would do even better in a different mix. Cliff Dodd posted
his recipe some time ago, and it contains more than 3 components
(I think).

So, here's a general call to nepenthes growers. Please post the
recipe for your potting mix if it's _different_ from sphagnum
and perlite.

Regards,

Perry Malouf