Re: Nep. soil

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 08:34:48 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:34:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep. soil

Hi Perry and list,

> Yes, the 'traditional mixes' are nothing like the soil found in
> Nepenthes habitats. This became obvious to me durng my trip to
> Kinabalu Park. I use sphagnum and perlite. The soils I found
> Nepenthes growing in was a slimy, mineral-rich muck. No aeration
> whatsoever, especially compared with the sphagnum/perlite.

I grow my neps in an airier mix than what you have described. I have seen
what looks like slim mold growing in the 'air pockets' as well as white,
webby or crystalline fungus where light penetrates through. So far, I
haven't had any troubles but I have heard of others losing their plants
due to fungus on the roots. I do have a couple of neps in a compact medium
and they appear to be doing fine. Perhaps the traditional view of
nepenthes soil mixes needs to be revised?

Paul Burkhardt