RE: Saracennias

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 05:08:00 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 08:08:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Saracennias

>Are there any hybrid Sar's that do not need a dormancy period. I have
a Purp
>and a Psitt and they are doing really well in my tank, so I would love
to get
>more, but I would like to grow them now.

All Sarr require a dormant period, some more than others. If your purp
is a Yankee purp, (couldn't resist, my apologies in advance), it will
probably require a longer dormant period (I'm guessing 4 or 5 months or
so) than the more delicate <gr> Southern purp. Exact times, though,
have not been established with certainty. Growing in more southernly
climes, the psitt probably will do all right with a relatively short
dormancy, say a couple of months. Dormancy is a factor of cold nights
and reduced light. I've read posts of people inducing dormancy in vft
simply by reducing the amount of light. That certainly might work. If
you can manage the colder temps somehow, say in the 40s or 50s plus the
reduced light, that's the best way to induce dormancy.

>Also, my D.Adelae leaves are shriveling up. Is this due to rotting
roots (too much >water) or too much heat (my tank gets up to 86-88
degrees sometimes), or too little >light?

This happens with D. adelae and I suspect that your potting material has
degraded. Repot immediately.

> Also my Venus Flytrap has stopped growing. Is this a sign of the
onset of
>dormancy?

Probably since it's that time of year for them.

David