Re: Superthrive vs Vitamin pills

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 06 1997 - 14:50:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 06 Nov 97 17:50 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Superthrive vs Vitamin pills

> Not to revive the superthrive thread, but on the web most places list
> superthrive as a vitamin B supplement. This may be silly, but has
> anyone actually fed their plants vitamin B pills or a vitamin B
> solution? I don't know what else may be in superthrive, but if it's
> primarily vitamins, it seems plausible to give it a shot.

Hi! I've heard quite a number of different views on B as a plant
root system strengthener. Some report it is very benefical while
others say it has none and can even damage roots. Since you can find
vitamin B1 (I think it's 1) supplements for house and garden plants
in just about any garden shop, I rather doubt it is harmful! (after
killing a couple plants, I'd stop using it)
   I can't see what feeding (as in putting the stuff in the traps)
CP's B1 will do as it's supposed to go on the roots. ST (SuperThrive)
also has rooting hormone and other stuff which may be useful if applied
to the foliage, but I don't know for sure that these hormones can travel
from the leaves to the roots or whether they might have some other bonus
effect to the vigor of your plants.
   As I've mentioning in the past, most CP's have plenty of their own
auxins since they grow plenty of adventagious roots. Drosera, Dionaea,
Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Pinguicula and any I've missed
are very quick to produce lots of roots all on their own. Nepenthes
are slower to do this and are the most easily shocked by transplanting
so if something can help roots recover faster, I reckon this genus
would see the most benefit from it's use. You can add any species that
are not easy to transplant to this list of thing ST might help. I think
it does, BTW. So I can't see needing to using it on any of the plants
I mentioned in the second sentense if they are already established, but
any species which have easily damaged roots should be given some ST
when transplanted or if you think it may help them recover faster.
Sarracenia doen't even get transplant shock (unless you break up the
rhizome or break lots of the roots, but then it's more like a cutting),
so I've never bothered giving them ST.

Dave Evans