Re: Home Depot CP's

From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
Date: Tue Nov 04 1997 - 07:31:03 PST

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 97 09:31:03 cst
From: mark.fisher@tpwd.state.tx.us
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Home Depot CP's

     Hello Joe,

>I went to Home Depot today looking for some Grow lights...and to my
>surprise, there was a mix of CP's there. The supplier here is Gubbs
>Orchids, out of LA, California. Is this the same for other Home Depots
>around the US (or Canada)? Anyway, I picked up a D. rotundifolia( in
>bloom) , Nepenthes Hybrid, and an unknown CP....it looks like a Sundew,
>long narrow leaves with the normal dew-leaves...but only on 1/2 of the
>stem, not all the way around like Byblis...Tomorow I go hit the other 2
>Home Depots in this city.

     I purchased the same cps at an Austin HD. The "D. rotundifolia" is
     actually D. spathulata (although the photograph on the label is
     rotundifolia). Never fear--they do quite well here (numerous blooms, many
     new plants, etc.). They catch a lot of insects, too.

     They sell at least two Nepenthes hybrids, so I don't know what you have.
     One looks very much like N. madagascarensis (i.e., very broad leaves),
     while the other is just a typical Nepenthes (lanceolate leaves, like N.
     alata). I got them last May, and they have just about tripled in size.

     The unknown cp you got is probably D. adelae. It needs very high humidity,
     as in a terrarium. Mine are doing okay, but not great. They have bloomed,
     though.

     If you are ever up in Austin, you might want tp check out It's a Jungle.
     They specialize in orchids, but carry some cp, from Dangerous Plants--S.
     purpurea purpurea, S. rubra rubra, VFT's, D. spathulata and D. adelae.
     They also have some pretty big Nepenthes in hanging baskets for $30. Their
     orchids are spectacular.

     Regards,

     Mark