CP: Red S Purps in Fall

From: carlstrom_rick@advmar.com
Date: Tue Nov 04 1997 - 04:10:43 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 07:10:43 -0500
From: carlstrom_rick@advmar.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP:  Red S Purps in Fall

As far as purps turining all red this time of year I have found that this is
directly related to sunlight. You might want to do a little investigation and
answer the following questions:

                1. Have leaves fallen off of overhanging trees giving the purps
more light?
        2. Now that the sun is lower on the horizon are they getting a longer
photoperiod?
        3. Was there extremely hot weather in the summer that has now
moderated?
        4. Have pine needles fallen into your pots making then more acidic?
(See CPN
                     issue on "Tannic Teas")?

I have noticed that my sarr's are doing alot of pitchering now in the Washington
DC area. The cool weather has cut back on destructive insects. I have killed
about 100 slugs. The August drought is over. Leaves have fallen off of the
60ft tree that half shades my bogs.

You also need to consider how long it has been since any environmental change or
repotting.

These are just some thoughts
RICK C