Re: Intro of CP, and rebuttal to Paul Burkhardt

From: Carl Mazur (ccp@vaxxine.com)
Date: Wed Oct 29 1997 - 20:09:51 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 23:09:51 -0500
From: "Carl Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Intro of CP, and rebuttal to Paul Burkhardt

Paul

> Carl,
> Do you know (or does anyone else?) if there's a record of certain CP
> existing in NJ (or other states for that matter) a few centuries ago
> that aren't here now because of human intervention? (ie. they've been
> killed off by farmers' fertilizers, various war efforts- there was a
> vested interest in cannon ball production in the NJ Pine Barrens during
> the Revolutionary war years that may or may not have been good for CP-
> and other land development?) If so, it seems to me that such plants
> SHOULD be reintroduced. It would be fascinating for someone (I have no
> time...) to check into this possibility.

Sorry, I really don't know of any factual records, however, I've heard of
historical records of S. flava from Alabama, S. oreophila from Tennessee
and S. leucophylla in Georgia. As far as I know they all don't exist there
anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Best Regards,

Carl J.Mazur
Cherryhill Carnivorous Plants