Re: dormancy requirments

From: Ross Rowe (Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au)
Date: Wed Oct 29 1997 - 18:16:26 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:16:26 +1000
From: Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au (Ross Rowe)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: dormancy requirments

     Concerning Drosera arcturi, my observations of the species in the wild
     in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, (Australia) have been
     that the species grows beside the margins of small mountain streams in
     peaty gravels, covered by snow in winter and often under water from
     spring snow melt. (I have not dug through the snow to try and find
     dormant plants - I believe they develop an underground stem from which
     they probably reshoot in spring.)

     Ross
     Canberra, Australia

Author: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com> at Internet

Hello Folks,
        What are the dormancy requirments, if any for D. arcturi and D.
stenopetala please? I have them out doors, exposed on S.E. facing wall.
Plenty of rain and temps in the mid 40's to upper 50's. Light is what can
be expected for our local overcast gloom. They were doing really nice,
even bloomed. (no, seed was not obtained:-(. ) Now they look in about the
same sad shape as my vfts who are doing the normal routine dormancy
preparations. I am curious if they (the D.) are going dormant or towards
death?
        Thanks!
        Andrew