Nepenthes Lighting

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Sun Oct 05 1997 - 21:21:19 PDT

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 00:21:19 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Lighting

I currently have a terrarium-type affair rigged up for growing
Nepenthes. It is comprised of 2 - 30 gallon aquarium tanks next to each
other illuminated by a twin 48" strip light with Hagen Life Glo tubes.
The illumination from these lights appear much brighter than the
standard Sylvania Gro-Lux flourescents, Cool Whites, etc.

The lights are about 6-8 inches from the top leaves of my N. Khasianas,
N. Alatas, N. Gracilis, and N. Madagascariensis'. I've got the lights on
a 16 hour photoperiod.

Is this lighting too much or too little? I am quite the Nepenthes
neophyte having just started cultivating them this year. What do some of
you nep growers out there use for this genus?

Trying to etch pictures on the side of a D. Rotundifolia seed,

Mark Pogany
Willoughby Hills, Ohio
markp@crscms.com