Re: Re_3: propagation

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 06:07:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:07:52 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re_3: propagation

    Dave,
This sounds like a really good way to mass produce a nice clone.
What species does this work on best? S.purpurea and S.psittacina
don't seem like good canidates as they don't grow much of a stem
compared to other Sarrs... S.minor seems like a good bet, but I have
not tried this on any yet...
 Try S. Flavas and Rubras. Anything with a long rhizome works well. I haven't
tried purps or psitt. I have not found a way to notch these plants and so I just
stick to divisions. You might say, I play it safe. I agree, the use of a
fungicide and clean tools is essential when cutting into rhizomes. Thanks for
the info.
                        Charles