Re_3: propagation

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 16:20:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 02 Oct 97 19:20 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re_3: propagation

Dear Ross and Charles,

> Sarracenias work well as rhizome cuttings. cut rhizome in to about 2
> inch sections, dust ends with sulpher or fungicide, place them in damp
> peat moss or soil mix. Leave about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rhizome above the
> soil line. push soil up to and cover the ends. keep soil damp, bright
> indirect light. Keep warm when growth begans to develop- expose them
> to more light, keep damp. I have been about 60% successful using leave
> cuttings with sarracenias. Make sure that if you use leaves that you
> have some roots attached.

   I just want to clarify this bit at the end. This is called a "stem-
leaf cutting." Tom Hayes and I have tried leaf cuttings of Sarracenia
as well as root cuttings. None of these worked even though some have
perisisted, and in the case of the roots, continued to grow for a couple
months (leaves had much shorter life spans). Roots and leaves with at
least some stem (which assumes the habit of a rhizome in this genus)
can work and generally the larger and more intact the attached section
of stem is, the better your chances for success. Sarracenia don't need
any rooting hormone as the stems are always producing roots (moreso
than any other CP's I've grown), but fungicide or sulpher are definitely
good ideas for protection of the wound.

> You can also cut notches into the rhizome, approx. half way through every inch
> or so. Dust notches with fungicide and put the plant in a semi sunny area. I
> guess I should have told you that you will need to cut off all pitchers prior to
> notching the rhizome. Before long, you will have a new plant started at each
> section. When ready to divide, cut notches all the way through and plant newly
> formed plant. This is very similar to Joe's method except that I don't disturb
> the rhizome that much.

    This sounds like a really good way to mass produce a nice clone.
What species does this work on best? S.purpurea and S.psittacina
don't seem like good canidates as they don't grow much of a stem
compared to other Sarrs... S.minor seems like a good bet, but I have
not tried this on any yet.

Keep on growing,
Dave Evans, NJ, USA