RE: Sarr. seedlings

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 05:02:00 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:02:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sarr. seedlings

>From: Aaron J. Hicks

> have some second-year sarracenia seedlings that are languishing;
>I would like to communicate with someone that could tell me the
difference
>between ailing plants, and seedlings that are undergoing natural
changes.
>:-) They were changed from fluorescent lights for 18 months to natural
>light for the past six, so things are kind of wonky.
> I'd appreciate any help, and will give specifics via e-mail.

Hi Aaron,

It sounds like your Sarr seedlings are in desparate need of a good
nights sleep, say for 4 to 6 months in the 30's or 40's or maybe even
the 50's. Some people on the list have grown seedlings for about 2
years without giving them a dormancy. I tried it and lost several pots
of seedlings this summer. I suspect, though, that the reason is that I
started them under fluorescent lights and then switched them to outdoor
light and more importantly to the long hot days of summer. The people
who were sucessful with growing them for two years, probably did so
under the milder temps of fluorescent lights. I'm certianly inviting
opinions here from those who were successful.

Please keep your postings on the cp list. We all learn from the
questions and the answers.

David